Friday, June 17, 2011

antibiotic antipathy

A pharmaceutical week from hell. My son had poison ivy with a touch of impetigo and after sampling way too many antibiotics- Keflex, Bactrim, Augmentin- all did nothing (except scare the hell out of me about Stevens Johnson Syndrome, apparently the de rigueur prescription fear of moms, the ER doctor lamented). Wound up at the hospital at 1 AM on a Saturday night, worried sick, nothing working.

Then a few days later, a bad mammography, a call from the doctor's office with an annoyingly nervous secretary telling me something assymetrical showed up on my film. More scans, my heart pounding, visions of never making it to my son's Bar Mitzvah, unless you count on a stretcher.

And now, all is well, his rash is getting better thanks to prednisone. Duh! A mere blood vessel was the assymetry on my breast. The only problem now is this confounding headache that won't go away. Serious pain!!! A brain tumor?

No comments:

Post a Comment